Smokey (Before)Smokey (After)


Happily rehomed!!!    See his story below.

Smokey is not at Farplace.  His owner told us how she found him and why he now needs a 5star wonderful new home.  This is what she told us:

Back in April I moved onto a new stable yard with my horse. For two days I thought the stable opposite mine was empty. I was pretty busy and had been keeping myself to myself taking care of my Colt who is a handful to say the least. Anyway, one morning I arrived at the yard and found a few of the other horse owners stood around the stable door tutting and shaking heads so I wandered over. Stood there was the most horrendous sight I had ever seen. It was pretty much a skeleton with fur, stood with his head against the wall and without any energy to even look up. "he's dying" one woman said. Well I was shocked. After several hours of talking I worked out that this horse had been brought onto this stable yard two weeks previously, by a woman who claims that she rescues horses. She had owned the horse for four years and had turned him out to grass, to find that a few months later he was in this state and she had no idea why, except for the bright green foul smelling totally liquid poo which was almost constantly dripping down his back legs. He totally stank like he had already been dead for a month. The owner arrived and (i admit I was very two faced) I made conversation about the horse and what was happening, I was friendly to get her on side and not ruin my chances of helping this horse. Turns out she couldn't afford a vet and didn't know what to do. I offered to call a vet myself and pay for the treatment (with no payback) but she refused. Eventually I managed to persuade her to give the horse to me. In all honesty I thought I'd have him shot the next day, I thought it would probably be for the best. I noticed he had an unsightly deformation of his back leg, which was twisted from the hock down. The original owner said her children used to ride him and he was an old donkey who was as good as gold and that the leg never caused him any real problems for a light hack. She gave me a photograph of him all tacked up and ready to go which was apparently taken the year before. (the photo turned out not to be of the same horse)

The vet came out that day, and shook her head, saying he would probably be dead in a week, but took some blood tests and said she thought it was worth trying to save him. We agreed to give him 7 days to see if there was any improvement. There was a massive amount of Red Worm in his droppings. The vet examined the leg and said it was probably a fracture as a youngster which healed. She said we would give it a go and assess the leg as he didn't appear lame on it or in pain. Anyway, he went from strength to strength, at first all his feed, hay and water had to be at shoulder height as he couldn't put his head down or lift it up. He was wormed, he'd digested parts of his own stomach, his feet were pure rot from neglect with pus and god knows what else. But his liver and vital organs were still functioning and I plowed on desperate to give him at least one day of happiness. As time went on I found that this horse had spend the first 7years of his life alone in a stable. A Stallion simply because no one could afford to geld him you can imagine the life he must have lived.

At some point someone had tried to remove his wolf teeth and smashed them into a hundred pieces and his other teeth were like razors. The dentist believes that he had never seen a proper dentist. Eating was painful. He had been gelded the year before simply so he could be turned out to grass with this woman's other rescue horses as she'd been asked to leave the stable yard and had no where to go. He was cut and chucked out in that field from september2010-April2011. He then came to this yard in that state.

Well he's now pretty much fully recovered, and I love him with all my heart. He's a little stroppy at times but he isn't nasty at all. He's a kind horse even after the misery he has had for 7years of his 8year life. His leg doesn't cause him pain but he cannot hold a rider. But I love him just the same. I'd love to say he was grateful for my help, but he isn't. He's an eating machine and i'm the servant who brings it. But he is very very affectionate to me and my partner (he doesn't really like many other people and who can blame him). Sadly my partner was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and a few weeks ago we discovered it had spread to his liver and stomach.


Smokey has found a fantastic forever home.

And i will always be grateful to this silly, clumsy, wonderful horse who i love with all my heart. I have only just realised how much he truely means to me my partner and our 7 year old children. he was only with us for a few months but i have to admit this horse has made the biggest impact on my life than that of any horse i have ever owned.

He has taught us a lot. He taught my other half to muck out, to turn out, to hold on for dear life, and he taught our children responsibility and devotion. He is the first one of my horses that my family ever took an interest in. looking back i realise i didn't involve them with my event horses. He taught me to allow my family into these parts of my life so we can accomplish something together. he taught me to relax a little and go with the flow.

He also taught me to never give up on the worst of days. My partner learned how to hold onto a spooking horse, and how to stop a bolting one. we learned how hard the battle of worming really can be, and I learned some tricks to get around his problems (Ive sang old MacDonald had a farm at the top of my lungs over fireworks, roadworks and the dreaded flyspray). the kids rode him bareback and bridleless around the farm. he taught them that if you don't mount correctly, you dont mount at all.

he was always willing to please, even if some days you had to coax it out of him and he was as bad as Lucifer himself. I learnt to read his moods and he taught me that it not the best conformation and the winning at shows that counts. when he got better and he bucked his way across that top field, which to me was better than a ribbon, i cried tears of joy, something i have never done at any show or event. he looked after me and my nerves, he looked after me on the days where I would do nothing but sit in his stable and cry . he has been the gentlest of horses with my partner and children. since Andys diagnosis this horse has listened to all my cares and woes, and i just found out, he has listened to all of the families cares and woes too. one of the kids told me earlier "i can tell Smokey anything and he doesn't tell anyone else". Turns out he has a great ear for a failed spelling test.

We tried everything, and he has manners now (just the occasional mood swing) and a happy life to live and look forward to. Im so proud what we have done for him and what he has done for us. I love smokey to pieces and i am so happy that we have found him a forever home who will look after him always.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me rehome smokey, the kindness you have all shown has been overwhelming,. thank you all.

The pictures show what he looked like when Kelly first rescued him, and what he looks like now.


Share |